Thursday, January 29, 2015

My New Project.......

       In the beginning, I didn't know what to do my project on, and was a little stress about it. However, Josh and Matt helped me a lot in finally being able to plan my experiment. I have always been very concerned about the environmental pollution caused by man. For instance, the tons and tons of waste that is dumped in landfills, and pollutes the soil, air ,and water resources. Unfortunately, most of the waste is made up of plastic such as plastic bags, plastic bottles, etc.  Plastic is very useful in modern society, but it can also take hundred of years to degrade. In my project I will be observing the degradation of plastic in soil under different conditions.
      I started my experiment by cutting several plastic bags into stripes.  I obtained 30 small plants pots, and one stripe was buried in each pot. In addition, the pots were labeled numerically. Before I buried the plastic stripe I weighted it, and recorded this number.
Half of the pots were covered with regular soil (obtained from my backyard), and the other half with potting soil.

Tomorrow,I will  be planting a legume on 10 of the pots (5 regular soil & 5 potting soil). In addition, another type of plant seed will be planted in 10 other pots (5 regular & 5 potting soil), and the rest of the pots are going to be left alone. I am excited super excited for my project this semester, and will keep updating. Oh, I forgot to mention that this is only one part of my project!!

The 30 small plant pots

The stripes cut from plastic bags

Cutting stripes from plastic bags

No comments:

Post a Comment