Thursday, November 12, 2015

Week 10

I am never satisfied with my performance, and this stresses me out a lot. I don't know if anyone else feels like that, but it drives me crazy. I am starting to feel very frustrated with my project, because there is so many things I wish I could do different or expand on. Honestly, I am doing the best I can with the resources that I have.

Today I started new  algal cultures, because I am going to start recording the optical density, and get my data from this new cultures. I also received my control TODAY. I am going to be using Chlorella as my control. Okay, the idea is that Chlorella is a well known algae strain (used for biofuel), and I could compare the absorbency of Chlorella to the absorbency of the four algae strains I have. There is some research that optical density can be used to quantify growth.  There other better methods of quantifying growth, but due to lack of resources (and time constrain), optical density is the way to go. I am only going to be collecting data for three weeks (basically right before project is due). This would give me some data to present. Next week, I want to blog about the mistakes (which were many),and lessons I learned up to this point. 

Honestly, algae is pretty cool, and I hope more research is done on it, but I will not continue my research next semester. I am moving on to something that I find a bit more interesting...
CO2 REDUCTION!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment