For the past two weeks I have been growing more algae, and researching a bit more on them. I also had the chance to talk to Tony, and I asked him a bit about the project he did on algae last semester. He gave me very helpful information. For example, he introduced me to “F2” which is an algae growth medium that he described as “steroids” for algae. However, he also told me that it is very expensive.
Last Saturday, I went to Sedona and collect a water sample (and some pond scum). I was able to look at the algae under a microscope. It looked pretty cool, but unfortunately this type of algae (filamentous algae) it not good for oil production. I am a very disappointed, because the water sample I collected were contaminated with this type of algae. I am probably going to throw them away, because growing this type of algae is not going to be helpful for my project.