Thursday, July 9, 2015

I haven’t blogged in a while, and I have a lot to tell. First of all, I had to change my research project, and I am no longer doing it on plastic degrading bacteria. The reason for this is that I realized that I just don’t have enough time to see some good results. I also got a little discourage, because I wasn’t allowed to collect a sample soil from the Glendale Landfill. They told me that it was too hazardous.
                However, the good news is that I have started a very exciting new project. I am doing my project on selectively growing oil-producing algae. I am also trying to identify the presence of oil producing algae in lakes and ponds in Arizona. I want to growth oil-producing algae that are found naturally in our area.  I am going to do something similar to what Tony did last semester, but just take it a different route.
 I am also going to do a side project on aquaponics. Today, I had a genius idea on how to connect both projects. I have a good research question now!! However, I don’t really want to go into detail .For now, I am just beginning the process of growing my algae. I collected water samples from Encanto Park Lake and other lakes around Phoenix. I started to growth algae from those samples, and so far I have seen some growth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment